[CSC] [ANN] Hosted ZNC (IRC bouncer) for CSC members

Computer Science Club csc-general at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 28 09:21:55 EDT 2020

Hello programs,

On behalf of the CSC Systems Committee I am pleased to announce the
availability of the CSC's own installation of the ZNC IRC bouncer for
our members, at <https://znc.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>.  To learn how to
configure and use your CSC ZNC account to connect to IRC networks,
please see the 'Client setup' section of the new ZNC page on the CSC
wiki at <https://wiki.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ZNC>.

This is the second of several steps we at the CSC Systems Committee are
taking to bring modern user freedom- and privacy-respecting
communication tools to our members.  This is now more crucial than ever,
as we have all grown our dependence on remote communication tools due to
the ongoing global crisis, and as Fall 2020 starts with classes held
online.

Starting today, CSC members can use their CSC account credentials to log
into znc.csclub.uwaterloo.ca to access the CSC-hosted version of the ZNC
IRC bouncer [0].  ZNC is free/libre software [1-2] under the Apache 2.0
license, and self-hostable by anyone.  The CSC ZNC was set up with the
help of the Systems Committee's newest member, Max Erenberg (merenber).
Thanks for all your help and work on this, Max!

[0]: <https://wiki.znc.in/ZNC>
[1]: <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>
[2]: <https://github.com/znc/znc>

Upon your first login to CSC ZNC's web interface, it will automatically
create an account for you, with the freenode network pre-configured,
where you can join our #csc channel along with channels of many other
free software projects.  As an IRC bouncer, ZNC keeps you connected and
logged into the IRC networks you configure it for and the channels you
join in, so that when you close your IRC client or turn off your
computer you won't miss any of the conversations that took place while
you were gone.  After configuring your CSC ZNC account, you would then
change your IRC client's configuration to connect to the CSC ZNC instead
of the IRC networks directly.

The CSC-hosted instance of The Lounge [3] announced earlier [4] covers
part of a bouncer's use-case while providing a user-friendly web IRC
client.  Since IRC bouncers most often implement their functionality on
top of the IRC protocol, they can be used with any IRC client and not
bound to the browser like The Lounge is.

[3]: <https://chat.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
[4]: https://mailman.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/pipermail/csc-general/2020-July/000837.html

We will be updating the "How to IRC" page [5] of the CSC Wiki with
information about the newly introduced CSC The Lounge and CSC ZNC
services as the easiest and most flexible ways of connecting to IRC
respectively for CSC members going forward.

[5]: <https://wiki.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/How_to_IRC>

Want to learn more or find more user freedom- and privacy-respecting
remote communication tools?  See [6] for a large list of free software
tools you can use to communicate with your peers and/or loved ones in
privacy and freedom.

[6]: <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Remote_Communication>

Have a question or suggestion?  Do not hesitate to write to us at the
Systems Committee <syscom at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>; we look forward to
hearing from you!

Amin Bandali
Systems Committee